What Is the Purpose of a Gutter Guard?
Gutter guards are protection systems for your gutters. They attach overtop of your existing gutters to keep things out of them. They’re supposed to stop your gutters from clogging and overflowing. This prevents things like damage to your landscaping, your foundation, and your basement. Gutter guards allow for less gutter cleanings. You can go longer periods between cleaning your gutters out. Finally, they prolong the life of your existing gutters. They serve as a shield, causing your gutters to rust and rot slower than normal.
Different Types of Gutter Guards
“There isn’t one type of gutter guard that fits every budget, every gutter shape & size, every metal, and all of the different roofing systems.” Gutter guards come in different price ranges to fit different budgets. They also come in a variety of sizes and types. This gives you the best chance of finding a guard that works with your existing gutters size and needs. They also come in a variety of different materials. They make them with cheap materials such as foam and plastic. They also make more expensive ones made of aluminum, copper, and stainless steel. “The five main types of gutter guards available are screen, micro mesh, reverse curve (or surface tension gutter guards), brush, and foam. Each type has its own set of advantages and considerations.”
No matter what type you choose, the more you invest, the better the outcome will be for your gutters. The best quality gutter guards will keep the most out and last the longest. A poor-quality solutions will do little to nothing. You may think affordable ones will work fine, but they may only be a temporary fix. Also, the better the guard fits in your gutter, the better it will work. Having a gutter guard that’s the incorrect type or size will alter its ability to keep things out and do its job. Having the wrong kind of gutter guard still puts your gutters at risk. You’ll end up losing money in the long run replacing not only the cheap guards but also your gutters.
What Product Do We Use?
Our systems use Shur-Flo Gutter Guards. This is what we recommend. Shur-Flo Gutter Guards use hi-temper rust free aluminum. They fit on top of your gutters snug, and you won’t need any lifting or penetration of your roof shingles to install. They work with every type of roof. “Leaves, pine needles, twigs and even the smallest debris are suspended on top of the panel. Air circulation from above and below allows the leaves and debris to dry up and blow away in the wind.” Shur-Flo gutter guards also have a 20-year warranty. They’re almost invisible from the ground and the perf flow drain holes only let water through. These guards stop even most mall debris or pine needles from sneaking through.
Are They Worth it?
- Guards can install over top of your existing gutters. You will be able to find the correct type of guard for what you already have because of the countless options.
- They help prevent water leakage into your home. They prevent your gutters from overflowing with water which combats overflow water damage.
- Gutter guards keep bird and rodents from nesting or mating inside of your gutters.
- They keep big leaves and sticks out of your gutters to combat clogging. Some guards even keep out smaller pieces like debris and pine needles.
- Help to prevent insects from getting into or mating in your gutters.
- Can allow for less gutter maintenance for you. You can clean them less often and you can go longer without replacing your gutters in general.
- Cheap gutter covers do not always work the same as expensive ones. This means they can be an expensive investment for you right off the bat.
- While they allow for less cleaning, you still have to clean on occasion. Not cleaning on occasion could cause your gutters to sag.
- Depending on the type of gutter guard you have or get, debris, seeds, or pine tree needles could still get through. The better the guard and depending on what type you get, the less frequent this will happen. It cannot be completely avoided though.
- If your gutter guard becomes dented it could start to lose its effectiveness.
- “Exaggerated ice issues are common, since melting snow and ice build-up react differently with gutter guards.”
Simply put, guards are a great way to protect and prolong the life of your gutters. A good guard will keep your gutters in the best condition for the longest amount of time. The world of gutter guards is vast. There are tons of options to choose from. You need to weigh out the advantages and disadvantages when making your decision. “Choosing the right gutter guard is critical, as some can prove to be practically ineffective.” We’re here to help you weigh out those options and choose the right solution to make your life easier. Contact us today to get started!
The Purpose & Importance of Gutters
Common Questions About Gutter Guards
The Importance of Gutter Cleaning